Today is the FIRST day of the rest of your life!

Monday, December 20, 2010

Not exactly my front yard.......

.....but close!

This is the neighbor's alfalfa field - sans alfalfa, of course! Yesterday we saw over 80 head of deer out there, but my photos were rotten as it was snowing. They like to paw the snow off the ground and eat what is underneath. Today I saw about 1/3 as many in the field, but there are more in our field to the right, and our other neighbor's apple orchard to the right of that.

I watched as two trucks were stopped in the middle of our road and wondered why ... they were letting a couple of mule deer go across the road, and were watching the others in the apple orchard. We often have people park on the side of the road, sometimes five or six at once, lined up to watch the deer close up.

I like photo with the view of the hills in Oregon, across the Snake River. The Snake River is located along the dark line of trees you see near the middle of the photo which was taken from our front yard. It winds around behind the hills you can see all decorated in white farther in the background, and then travels north to the Columbia River, which then goes west to the Pacific Ocean. So - some day all this snow will end up on some beach in California! ;o)



We are suppose to get more snow later today, and then "clear-ish" skies for the rest of the week. I was really ready for Winter and snow, but am thinking I'm already ready for Spring - even thoughWinter hasn't really arrived "legally"!!!

Tomorrow is the first day of Winter and a Lunar eclipse. Depending on where you live, late night December 20 or early morning December 21, the full moon will be darkened by the shadow of the earth as it passes between the moon and the sun. I think this is suppose to not only be the longest night of the season, but also the darkest ever! From what I understand, this is the first lunar eclipse falling on the winter solstice since 1638! And the next one won't be until 2094.

If you are like me, and are living where there are rain clouds and snow clouds (or just clouds) you should be like me and have an iPad! It has Stargazer which is an app that shows the sky as it actually is, and you can turn it toward the sky, or horizon, or even the floor! It will show you what stars are in "that" place at "that" time, so I can "watch" the eclipse even though I can't watch it. Yay!

I hope you all can see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment